Slider

A Salad For People Who Don't Like Salad

Saturday 21 April 2018


Yep, believe me, those people do actually exist!! I was one of them, and to a certain extent I kind of still am one, but when I decided to do something salady with some chicken and halloumi I was kind of impressed, I have to say. I found a recipe for a pea-shoot salad on the Good Food website (okay but does BBC Good Food save the life of every student or what) and adapted it a little bit for me and here's what we came up with...


Look, I promise there's salad among the pile of chicken and halloumi and croutons. This is such a perfect one for the warm weather we've been having recently so hopefully you'll like the recipe and will try it yourselves, make sure to let me know if you do!!! Like in my other recipe post, the prices here are based on Lidl as it's my nearest supermarket and the cheapest, most student friendly, but mysupermarket.com makes it really easy to compare the prices from your local supermarket. There also aren't many specific quantities here because I feel like salad is a really personal thing, you can have as much or as little as you want so it's really up to you!

💛

Ingredients

Mixed leaf salad (200g bag 95p) (it's also really nice with peashoots but I couldn't get any in Lidl or even my Tesco so if you can find them go for it)

Frozen peas (1kg bag £1.05)

1 chicken breast (590g pack £3.15) (or you can use pre-cooked chicken breast but it is more expensive, but can work better if you won't use the other breasts in an uncooked pack)

Half a block of halloumi cheese (1 225g block £1.39)

Croutons (100g bag 89p) (or I'll tell you how to make your own later)

Olive oil (1 litre bottle £2.99 or you can nick your flatmate's which is what I do) (but make sure you ask first lol some flatmates can be VERY possessive over their food)

Lemon juice (200ml 27p or if you prefer fresh a pack of 3 lemons is 99p)

Oregano (7.5g 29p)

Salt & pepper optional but come on everyone has those already (surely)

💛

Recipe!!

1. Cut up the halloumi into slices and dry fry them over a medium heat. There's a lot of water in halloumi so no oil is needed and dry frying makes a really nice crispy golden crust on the outside of the cheese. Put aside.

2. Cut up the chicken breast into small chunks and fry it in the same pan (this gets all the leftover halloumi stuff on it and makes it taste sooo good) until it's cooked all the way through. Please make sure it's cooked all the way through, raw chicken is a bitch. Put aside.

3. Rip up the salad leaves or peashoots into smaller pieces and put in your serving bowl at the bottom, and use as much or as little as you like - I like quite a lot of salad so go for whatever you're happy with.

4. Meanwhile, pop on a pan of boiling water and cook the peas for 2 minutes. Again, use as many or as little as you'd like for this. Once they're cooked, drain away the water and pop them on top of the salad leaves in your bowl.

5. Cut up the halloumi into little bitesize chunks (it works better if you fry it as slices and then chop it up later, and using scissors tends to work best) and pop into your bowl. Do the same with the chicken and croutons.

If you want to make your own croutons (it's cheaper and a really good way of using up stale bread) just cut the crusts off three slices of white bread (or brown if you're feeling healthy) (or whatever you have), brush both sides of each piece with a little melted butter, cut into similar sized cubes and bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees. Works perfectly.

6. Once all your dry ingredients are in the bowl, drizzle over some olive oil and lemon juice, and add oregano and salt and pepper to your own taste.

And voila, a lovely summery salad that isn't too heavy, super healthy and v v yummy.

💛

Hope you enjoyed this recipe and let me know if you make it for yourself, and even adapt it to suit your own taste!! Also do let me know if there are any other recipes you'd be keen on seeing on this ol' here blog and I'll be sure to try my best. I'm not the best or most creative person when it comes to food, I'm quite a fussy eater so I tend to stick to simple food that I know I like, so hopefully it won't be too boring and you can get some ideas for some super easy and cheap student-friendly recipes!!

What sort of things do/did you cook at university?

Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan