Slider

A Much-Needed Life Update

Tuesday 10 August 2021



Hi there gorgeous pals.


Once again, it has been a hot minute since I stepped my weirdly tiny feet into this corner of the internet. And hey, I might only be doing it now as a procrastination technique (avoiding the dissertation is becoming as difficult as the dissertation itself).

In all honesty, I've really only just felt ready to sit down and talk about everything that's gone on over the past few months - and I won't be going into anything in great detail so not tooo much juicy gossip over here. But trust me when I say it's been a lot. 

Let's get the more negative things out of the way! I've been on a hell of a journey since I last chatted to you guys, where through trials and tribulations of dating, having another partner and a whole polycule I've decided that "polyamory" in the true meaning of it just isn't for me. Non-monogamy is much more my style and the phrase I'm going with for the time being until I figure it out. I've also been through two breakups - both with the other partner and the whole polycule. We're fine - the situation is still a bit delicate but Gus and I are still good and strong and really, that's the most important part to me! No more detail needed than that, though, because as I've learned, situations involving five people with very different needs, wants and ways of figuring things out can get quite tricky quite quickly. After taking some time away from non-monogamy for myself though, I've started dating again, and have made some wonderful new friends who are enriching my life in truly excellent ways. All's well that ends well!

Other than that, since we last spoke I've been through two deadline seasons that nearly killed me, and am as of yesterday four weeks away from finishing my dissertation and my Master's completely. I've loved every second of it, but not sure how sad I'll be to see the back of it. So Emilia, what will you be doing once it's finished? Moving home again?

Well I'm glad you've asked because actually...no. And this is the most exciting part of my life update - your gal got a real life, proper, adult, salary-paying graduate job. I'll be starting as a Graduate Creative Copywriter at the end of August with a company based in Manchester, so I get to stay here for as long as I want to now. And while my brain is constantly flicking back to regretting the decision to sign my life away, I am so incredibly happy and grateful that I got the opportunity to do this job as it's exactly what I wanted and I just can't wait to stop being a student and start being a Real Adult.

And on top of that friends, staying in Manchester also means I get to stay living in the tiny shoebox of a flat that Gus and I have moved into!! We moved at the end of June, him for the fifth and final year of his medicine degree and me just until I finished my MA and knew what I was doing afterwards. And now I know what I'm doing I'm being added to the tenancy agreement as we speak and officially am living here. The flat is proving to be small, but an excellent place for the two of us to start real life together and so incredibly cheap. Of course, he'll be studying for the next year until his own real life starts but it does mean I get a 25% reduction on council tax....which reminds me, I need to sort that out sooner rather than later.

Council tax aside, it definitely feels as if a new chapter of my life is opening up and I'm very ready for it. There's still a lot of processing on my side to be done and I'm coming out of the last few months feeling a bit fragile (for some reason it feels like I've been through one of those rock polishers, that's honestly the best way I can describe it) but hey, if anyone was in need of some toxic positivity, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? And as well as that, I've gained probably more than what I've lost, so I'm just trying to focus on that bit for now.

How are all of you doing?! Do catch me up, I'd love to hear about it.

Emilia xxx 




No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan