Slider

Changing Up My Instagram Editing For Autumn

Thursday 11 October 2018



Hello hello hello and welcome to another post!! I thought it would be kinda cool to talk about how I'm editing my photos on Instagram these days and what sort of things I do to get a nice lil autumnal feed going on (yes, I'm aware my feed is mostly a bit of a mess but still!!!). Just wanted to say before I jump into this that I literally don't have a clue what I'm doing, I honestly just fiddled around with some colour settings until I found a preset that worked with me. (I'm hoping the guy I'm dating doesn't read this cos he knows a lot about editing and Photoshop and stuff and I'm honestly clueless) (if anything in this post is wrong or you think I could be doing something differently please tell me because I seriously don't know)

Firstly, I'd like to stress the importance of not actually having a feed style. It just so happens that a lot of stuff in my life is all the same sorts of colours - I'm a fan of yellow and dark green and burgundy and brown and black and white so it all sort of ties in together really. But at the same time, if I had a photo that didn't really match that theme and I wanted to upload it anyway you best believe I will because honestly, life's too short to have a perfectly curated Instagram feed - although if you do have one there's no judgement from me, in fact I admire your willpower if anything 😂

So I'm gonna use the photo at the start of this post as an example of the sorts of things I do so I guess here goes!!


So this is the original version of the photo, as you can see it's not drastically different but I just change the tones a bit and the whites and blacks so it has the feel I want to it. I use the free version of the Lightroom app for Android just so you know!

I actually created my own preset, as I mentioned earlier, that works on most of my photos because they all have the same sort of tones on, if it doesn't work it's usually because of the tones so I fiddle around with them a little bit, and my preset is very creatively named 'ooh'. The other two are ones I used to use but 'ooh' works best for the majority of my photos and 'ahh' is the one I used for the majority of my Paris photos just so you know!!


So the first thing in my preset is the blacks and whites and all that good stuff.


I usually bring the blacks and whites out more to create more contrast and crisper black and white tones, including boosting the whites because I do like that sort of fresh feel white brings to a photo. The exposure I change with each photo rather than using a particular setting just because it depends what time of day the photo's taken and where the light comes from and all.

Next I just move onto the shadows and highlights, shifting the shadows more towards red and the highlights more to light, creamy yellow since that works best with my skin tone and weird gingery hair colour for photos of me and also just the clothes I wear and the tones generally in my photos. Then, and this is what I like about Lightroom, I go onto change each colour individually.


I love me some warm, pinky red tones so I changed the reds more to a magenta type red since it works really well with yellows, and the fairy lights and everything. I make the reds slightly brighter as well.


I'm not really a fan of greeny-yellows so I whack the yellow right down to a yellow yellow and don't touch the green tool at all and I found this works quite well for me. 


I seriously reduce the light blue saturation just to get rid of some of those cool tones which don't really work with me and my feed, and move it towards a warmer turquoise instead.

The reds are probably what I change the most since I really love warm, reddy tones in photos and they work the best with the theme of my life - I know that sounds extremely pretentious but like it genuinely is the best way I can explain how I've finally got a theme going, or kind of anyway!! We shall see how many changes that theme goes under but for now I'm really happy with it!! I've also started doing little doodles on some of my photos like Rhianna does, but mine are much simpler and I literally just use the Snapchat drawing tool for it 😂

How do you edit your Instagram photos?

Em xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan