Slider

How To Help Uni Feel Like Home

Monday 27 November 2017


Hello frens!!

So as you've gathered from the title of this post, I thought I'd make a lil list of the things you can do to help yourself feel a little more at home at university. It feels like an odd time to be publishing this since most people are already at uni and seem to have settled in really well, but I also know that there may be some who are still struggling (I know I am) and first semester can often be the hardest time. I wanted to start branching into student blogging a little bit more and writing about student life and how I'm finding it so I guess this is my first post in this idea.



Make your room look more like your room at home

I feel like this goes a little without saying but you'd be surprised at the amount of people I've met who haven't decorated their room or anything. Personally I feel I went a liiiittle overboard as I've actually got so much random crap from home here and the idea of moving out in June is daunting me slightly, but photos, your makeup storage, fairy lights or a lamp or two can really help make a room feel more like yours. 

Get out and explore the city

This is one of the first things everyone should do when moving to a new city, especially if it's the first time away from home! Make a list of all the places you want to go in your new city (honestly, most of my list revolve around food - and most of those places are in the Northern Quarter. MCR gals will know, the Northern Quarter is crammed full of independent restaurants that do the most to die for food ever) and actually go! Convince your new friends and your flatmates and your course mates to get out and do something. This especially applies if you're at a campus uni - it can be so easy to get stuck in the routine of just going from halls to uni and never seeing anything else, which can be extremely mundane.

Join every club. Ever.

Okay, so maybe not every club, but at least join one. I joined the athletics club which has been great for a number of things - it's kept me busy, got me talking to some new people, given me some really great expert training, kept my general fitness levels up and expanded my confidence in my abilities after losing it massively. Sports clubs are also really good for your mental health, I don't think I've ever come out of a session feeling worse than when I went in. It's tiring having to go straight after uni, especially when it's in winter and dark and cold but it's doing the world of good. But even if you're not sporty your uni will have so many clubs to join!! At MMU alone we have all sorts from Kpop society to feminist society to Christian Union, to MMU Labour Students, you get the idea. There'll be something to pique your interest.

Spend time with other people.

Me and my course mates especially hang out all the time outside lectures - don't just turn up, sit in the lecture/seminar/lab for two hours and then go your separate ways again! Go for a coffee to get to know each other, go to each other's flats, do things you would have done with your friends at home! It's perhaps even more ideal since you can get around a little easier and you have your own places to do whatever you like in. For example, my two good friends came over last week and we made brownies together which was fun! We may have grilled them but you know, we're getting there with this adult thing, okay?

Two words. House. Roast.

In my opinion, there's nothing quite like a roast dinner to make yourself feel cosy and homely. Me and my flat have done two since being here and they've both been hilarious occasions as we try and figure out how to make a roast for four people in a kitchen big enough for perhaps a small hobbit. We're planning on doing a big Christmas one and asking some of our other friends to join in too, so house roasts can be a really good way of getting to know everyone properly. Doesn't help if one of you is a vegetarian though I won't lie.


So there we go - a few ideas to help your new city feel like yours. And listen, if you've tried everything and you're still struggling, just remember - you can go home. No one is stopping you and no one is judging you. Everyone at uni - absolutely everyone - is in the same boat.

What would/did you do to help uni feel more like home?

Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan